Friday 22 November 2013

Gosport Half Marathon 17/11/2013

The Curious Incident of the Portaloo in the Airfield

I have managed to fit in a lot of races in a short period of time, this is my 43rd race since I started in December 2011, and I think this my favourite half marathon I have run. The Gosport Half Marathon is well organised and friendly, the marshals are ace, the route is flat, the scenery is pretty good, and the PB potential is a good 9 out of 10. Everything was pointing towards having a great crack at a sub 1 hour 35 minute finishing time, everything but my absent mindedness and forgetting the first major rule of preparing for any race!

Sunday morning brings with it a cold bite and a very crispy chill in the air, brass monkeys, parky, and a certain part of a witches’ anatomy could also describe what Mother Nature has furnished us with on this fine day. I briefly pick up my running tights and then put them down in favour of my shorts, not wanting to finally succumb to wintery running clothing, everything else was duly laid out the previous night ready for this morning, even my number was pinned to my shirt! Running gear all accounted for, fresh clothes, towel, travelling trackie, gels, bloks, Vaseline, Imodium.. ahh hold up no Imodium, no worries I will grab some on the way.

I bet you can now guess the theme to this blog, I will try not to build the anticipation of toiletry  conducts, however this is the main part of my story, my running chums (no pun intended) I am sure will sympathise and relate to the dilemma, for everyone else lets refer to it as runners belly !!

Grabbing my kit I head over to Gary’s house and wait for Luc, there is only one road in and out of Gosport so we leave in plenty of time to get there. I momentarily forget the need to purchase Imodium and when I do remember we have already gone past all the shops, I decide that I probably will not need it as it should take me just over an hour and a half to complete and there will be toilets en route if needed. I will rue this decision with a passion between miles 8 and 10 with a pain that can surely only be comparable with childbirth.

We arrive, park up and make our way to collect our timing chips. Just before I drop my bag off I decide that it’s probably a good idea to nip to the gents before the start, walking through the school doors I am confronted with huge queue snaking round the corner. Rue decision number 2 (again no pun intended) not to bother queuing up and head towards the start.

With 15 minutes to go we assemble near the start line, we have collected Colin and Hannah along the way and stand shivering waiting for the gun. I have a strategy for the race, the first 5 miles all under 7 minutes each, then the remaining between 7 and 7:30, this should mean I hit 1 hour 35 minutes squarely on the nose. It starts to get more packed as about 1600 runners stand shoulder to shoulder waiting for the off. There are so many club t shirts in this race, because it is flat it attracts a lot of good runners from quite far a-field and it is an excellent opportunity to achieve a personal best. This was certainly my intention and as long as everything went to plan I should shave at least two minutes off of my Portsmouth half Marathon time of 1:36:50, the Portsmouth is a trail race so in comparison this should be much easier to get sub 1:35.

The tannoy crackles into life and we are ushered forward, a surge of vested runners huddle together awaiting the off. The gun goes and the race begins. As always my excited legs bound me off fast, propelling me forward like an excited puppy, we start on an open road where there is a lot of space to find your ground and your pace, it soon files into a narrow pathway where there is not much room for overtaking manoeuvres, this normally would be an issue but as it is at the beginning of the run it probably saved me going too hard and fast in the first couple of miles. We turn off the pathway and into an airfield, now running to the sound of Caribbean steel drums, beating out music of sunnier climates, palm trees, and relaxation ahhhhhhhh, the music vibrated through the ground and up through my body, it was kind of euphoric and at that time I was really really enjoying my race.

I will pass the drums again at mile 9 as we take in two loops of the airfield, already I was well into mile 4 and all of my mile times so far had started with a 6, bang on schedule, my legs felt good, my breathing was great, everything was in tune and I was starting to think that Gos-Vegas was the place to set my fastest run yet.

Exiting the airstrip we move back onto the roads again, up towards Stubbington and through some housing, people were standing at the end of their drives cheering and handing out jelly babies, I was eating up some serious pavement and had settled in a group who were all running at 7 min mile pace, a little part of me thought maybe I could hit nearer to 1:30, I started to calculate the times in my head and whether this was possible, did I have enough miles left to make up a few seconds here and there ?? , could I pick it up a bit now or should I save some in the tank and really push hard for home ??, maybe I should eat a shot blok and .. *gargle* .. my stomach flipped a bit, ok no need to panic just yet, so perhaps if I ate a shot blok now and then picked up the pace a little bit .... *big stomach gargle* .. and there it was, without warning ‘runners belly’ crept up on me slapped me in the face and had my eyes darting around for the closest conveniences. By this point we had entered into the airfield again, I could hear the steel drums being played with enthusiasm and zest, this time however it felt more like impending Indian war drums, the kind that instead of making you want to dance makes you want to hide instead. The vibrations reverberated through my body and lingered in my stomach, shaking and shuddering it to and fro, pushing and squeezing, bubbling into a crescendo of white horses crashing and tearing like a tsunami of pain ….. yep its runners belly alright. The only known cure known to man is the cross legged run. I broke into the cross legged run quite quickly, it’s a kind of weird skip where everything is clenched, it comes in waves and if you miss out on a clench you may end up regrettably ‘doing a Radcliffe’. My eyes are scouring my surroundings, but this is an airfield, there are no tree’s or bushes, everywhere is just a vastness of nothing, you can run 500 yards in any direction and still be out in the open. This is getting serious now and I am briefly thankful I am wearing gloves (now people who have been in similar positions and have experienced runners belly will understand what I meant by this sentence, sometimes when you are in the middle of nowhere, especially in a trail race you have to make do with what you have, it is not uncommon for runners to start a race wearing gloves and socks and sometimes come back having left them buried in the woods, if you still don’t understand what I mean think what you would do in a festival portaloo when there is no paper left).

Now I am not a religious man, in fact far from it, but if ever I was going to believe in any god it may well be the deity of runners, it was like Hermes himself saw my plight and zapped down a sign, a mirage shinning in an asphalt desert adorned from a lamppost with an arrow pointing which simply read ‘toilets’. The clenched run became an awkward hop shuffle as if reading that very word was enough to leave the departure lounge and board the plane, my outstretched hand reached for the handle and with great relief pulled the unlocked door open. The next few minutes were spent waving goodbye to a PB and thinking Freud may have a point with his theories of psychological gratification and concluding that expulsion was definitely more rewarding than retention.

Getting back running again was just as difficult, I now have to set off again at a similar pace and my legs complained a lot, stopping in any run makes it so difficult to start again, your legs seize up and the inclination to proceed wavers, this is why runners will always hop and bound at traffic lights waiting to cross the road, not wanting to cool down, keeping warm to start again. It took a good mile before I got into my stride and I reckon I must have lost about 3 or 4 minutes in total for my unscheduled pit stop with no way of catching up this lost time. We leave the airfield and head down to Lee on Solent beach promenade, the scenery cheers me up and I focus on the last couple of miles home, a couple of half decent miles and I will be close to my PB, which under the circumstances is better than nothing. I don’t know what my exact time is as I had stopped my Garmin in the portaloo but I continue to run about 7 minute miles. Stokes Bay is looming and the cheering crowd is getting more condensed, I can see the finish line as I turn the corner and look at the clock on the right hand side, I put in one final sprint and take in my time as I cross the line.

1:37:10 !!!!

20 Seconds off of a PB !!!!

I don’t know whether to be happy or gutted, 20 seconds out but 4 minutes down, the end result is that it is not a personal best, but I know I can spank my old time.
I
 jog back up the road and cheer on the other guys with encouragement such as ‘the beer is near’ and ‘call that a sprint finish’ Lisa is first in view and dishes out a high five, then its Colin and Hannah who have had a great race, closely followed by Luc and Gary who battle it out for a fast finish.

The good news is that everyone bar me achieved a PB, the course is fab, I could wax lyrical about how much I enjoyed (most of) this event, it was split down into manageable chunks and recognisable splits therefore making it better to not only judge the distance, but to decrease it to an extent where the miles flew by quickly and markers could easily be established. For anyone looking for a fast well organised half, this is it!


So 43 races in and I am still learning, runners belly is like stealthy ninja that can make you run like a crab and cry like a girl, my advice ? Always remember Imodium, always check out where the loo’s are on the map beforehand, never dismiss a queue, oh and if needed always wear gloves. 


I am still wearing both gloves !!

No comments:

Post a Comment